Tuesday, March 15, 2005

An excerpt from "Breaking Under Water": Spirituality and the 12 Steps

Why do many languages use the word spirit to describe liquor? What if, next time I have Mass with you, when I hold up the chalice I say : "Liquor of Christ"? Would'nt that shock you all? Isn't it strange that the very thing that has caused so much pain in some of your lives, alcohol, would be the very thing that we use for the sacrament? Is it mere irony or co-incidence - or providence? The blood of Christ, the wine of Christ, the liquor of Christ.

The place of the wound is the place of the healing. The place of the break is the place of the greatest strength. That's why Jesus himself, even in His resurrected body, reappears with the wounds still in His hands, in His side, in His feet. They do not disappear as you might expect.

What's the problem for Thomas? He can't deal with the wounds. Jesus tells him: Put your finger in. Deal with pain. Deal with the fact that I'm still broken.

No, You're resurrected, You're not supposed to have a hole in Your side, says Thomas.

"Thomas, put your finger in My hands. Put it in My side. Now believe" (John 20:27). I don't think you can begin to believe until you put your finger in your own wounds, the wounds of one another and the wounds of Christ.

No comments: