Friday, May 11, 2007

pick up sticks

I've got part of a song stuck in my head, ever since choir practice yesterday. It's a new song to me, and our practice was much livened up this upbeat piece:

He is the king of kings
and new life he brings
Sing it in the valleys
Shout it from the mountain tops
~ Sing It in the Valleys

It's a really simple piece, with not much 'deep' meaning to the words on first appearance...yet after the umpteenth time it had been playing in my head, it began to dawn on me what this 'it' is, what I'm supposed to shout from high and low. It's something to be joyfully proclaimed when we are on the mountain or in the valley, whether we experience happiness or depression. Because he is faithful, the praises meant for him will always be valid, whether or not we 'feel' his presence. Shouting it on the mountain is easy, because we are filled with his Spirit and have that push of courage: to offer spiritual advice to others, to give to the poor in love, to forgive.

Singing it in the valley is a lot more difficult, but that's perhaps why we are asked to sing it: a hymn sung is a prayer said twice. These times when we are low are the most crucial times for prayer and praise. I believe this praise is not the licking of the boot before we submit an application (of supplication); God doesn't need that. Praising allows us to realise what a good god we have, reminding us that he can turn our mourning into dancing.

So, what kind of praises should we sing?

I was watching a movie trailer on Apple.com, for the show Starter for Ten. One of the characters in the trailer says, 'People who really care about you don't mind if you make mistakes, it's what you do next that matters'. This is one thing I know I can sing about him: that he's someone who really cares about me, and that perfect love is simply amazing. Three other people like that are mum, dad and matt; these keep me going, walking, trying my best, even in the valleys.

No comments: