In the York 'The Crucifixion' pageant, the soldiers complaim about the weight of the cross; in the space of 65 lines there occurs a multitude of groans and curses concerning how much Jesus 'weyes a wikked weght' (213). The first soldier exclaims how his 'schuldir is in soundre', while the second compliants it exerts him to 'wondir soore', the third says his back will break and 'wantis wynde'.
so much to complain about, when Jesus has only two short speeches in the play. It is a juxtapostion to show his obedience and reliance on the Father, and with a firm decision 'here to dede I obblisshe Me' allows the soldier to do their work; nay, more, for he lays himself on the cross willingly.
*I apologise, apparently my attention now lies on the net, so I have decided to fuse it with what I must be doing: revising.
No comments:
Post a Comment